Spain is known for many things – flamenco, siesta, fiestas and endless sun, but this beautiful country is also famous for its delicious and varied culinary offering. Each region in Spain has its own specialties, offering a gastronomical variety that will make it difficult for you decide which to choose! In this post, we will review some of the dishes you’ve got to try when you come to Spain. Keep on reading!
- Tapas: These snacks or small dishes are everywhere in Spain and come in many different forms. There’s a wide variety of tapas, from simple things such as cheese, olives or ham, to more complex ones such as croquetas, pulpo a la gallega or tortilla de patatas. Part of the Spanish culture is to go from bar to bar trying different tapas while having a drink.
- Tortilla Española: This is an omelette made with eggs and potatoes and is one of the most typical Spanish dishes. Some of them have ham in them, cheese or onions, but the most traditional way to make it is just with potatoes.
- Paella:This dish’s main ingredient is rice, but after that you can find lots of different kinds of paella: with seafood, chicken, meat, vegetables, etc. It is originally from Valencia, but nowadays is popular in almost every city of the country. Make sure you try it!
- Gazpacho: Very popular, especially during the summer, this soup is made of raw vegetables and is served cold. Its main ingredient is tomatoes and it is the perfect start for a hot summer day. There are many modern variations of gazpacho, where things like watermelon or seafood are used.
- Jamón Ibérico: You can’t leave the country without enjoying some jamón ibérico! This is a type of cured ham is very popular as an appetizer. It is one of the most delicious things you will find, so make sure you order a “ración” de jamón in a bar and a glass of red wine to perfectly complement it.
What other Spanish dishes do you recommend? Leave a comment on our Facebook page and let us know what other dishes we should try!